Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Me x Barry White



This is something I have been avoiding for quite some time but I guess was ultimately inevitable.

For the first time in my 27 years on this planet I can honestly admit to being a Barry White fan. I've been a devout fan of 70's soul music since I was a child but Barry White always struck me as some cheesy 80's pop star that belonged in the center square of some lame game show.

The othernight though as I am sitting around the crib listening to elevator music on the radio, Barry Whites Never Gonna Give You Up started playing and my ears perked. Like a few other slow jams on this depressing excuse for an R&B / oldies station I was forced to re-evaluate my opinion of the man and his tunes.

Ever since I have been on some uncontrollable trip to listen to Never Gonna Give You Up repeatedly going on roughly three days straight. There's something about the bleakness of dark sounding love songs that appeals to me. Surprisingly the radio seems the best place to find them in abundance. Especially songs that have lost alot of their deepness because of how thin they have been stretched over a pop culture landscape that doesn't appreciate them.

I guess now that I have nothing but time in the evenings to sit around and analyze shit like this the songs have sort of slowed down for me and I'm finally able to give them a fair shake.

Anyways...

No comments:

Post a Comment