Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Rant About The Post Office!

For the longest time I have held the United States Postal Service in the highest regards as one of the premier employers this country has to offer. Great benefits, good hours and a starting pay of close to $20 hr. It's the type of place we should all aspire to work for.

Lately though, I'm not feeling as positive about the post office as I once did. Infact, I am feeling downright pissed off!

It occured to me recently that I never even check my mail anymore, there's no reason too. I correspond with friends and family through email or text message. Bills are automatically deducted out of my checking account, etc.

When I finally do get around to weeding through the mountain of paper cramped into my mail box, I discover nothing but coupons. So basically, the only rational purpose for the post office to even still be in business is to deliver junk mail. Great.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of government jobs, mainly because the private sector is so greedy when it comes to fair wages. It just seems a little outrageous to me that at a time when most Americans are struggling to find any sort of job, let alone one that pays a livable wage, these employee's are living in a recession free bubble doing a job that can be handled just as efficiently by a Fedex or UPS. I mean, what makes the clerk in the post office that much more valuable then the person working customer service in a grocery store?

Maybe I am wrong, maybe America needs it's Hungry Howies coupons by mail and I am underappreciating the importance of paying somebody $20 hr (starting pay!) to sort through and deliver it to our homes.

And yes, I do realize that Cosmo Kramer made this long before I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment